December 16, 2014

Christmas + a 4 year old = the season of I want!

At the beginning of December Emma was so excited about it being Christmas soon! Every time the tv came on I heard, mama,I want that! Mama I want that too! Mama...do you think Santa will bring me that if I ask him too..... Well you get the point! For a 4 year old, it's all about the gifts! And rightly so....their innocence of life is still running strong. They don't fully understand money, bills, homelessness, and truly going without. Don't get me wrong, emma gets not getting something for herself at the store, but her needs vs wants are somewhat blurred! (Aren't all of our in a way though?)

So here I am, trying my hardest to teach her that Christmas is about giving and not receiving...but the next day asking what she wants for Christmas. Great job Mom! 

After trying my hardest, we decided to do a few things to teacher her that not only do you get gifts during Christmas, but you can give to make people happy too! I  know I feel happiest when I can see the joy something simple can bring a person. So today we went and the girls each donated a jacket to a teen parent program. They were so excited and Emma wanted to write a note to the kid who got her jacket saying that Emma hoped the kid would enjoy the jacket as much as Emma did! We also talked about maybe cutting her hair so that somebody could make a wig out of it for a kid who doesn't have hair. He eyes got so big and she yelled out, "yeah!! And we could do it ever Christmas!"  It melted my heart that she was so excited to share her hair with others. People who may not know her might not know how important her hair is to her! She has only trimmed it a few times and it's all the way down to her butt. Anytime we talk about cutting it she gets mad and says, "no!" So we were so surprised to hear her change of heart! Not saying that we are actually going to cut it, but to hear her excitement about heling another child was a wonderful step in the right direction! 

I'm proud to say she is growing into such a sweet and caring little girl. I hope that she understands the spirit of giving and the spirit of Christmas more and more each year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall is Near

I can feel the cooler weather coming.  I can picture the leaves changing colors. Each season has its beauty; its challenges.  Through the ch...